Thursday, July 10, 2014

In The Kitchen || Blueberry Muffins (In a Mug)

In the mood for a blueberry muffin but don't necessarily need a whole dozen?  Or maybe your significant other claims they don't like blueberry muffins even though they devoured a plate of blueberry doughnuts like it was nothing, so you end up with more than you can/should eat by yourself?  Enter the blueberry muffin in a mug!


My only experience with "baking" in a mug was unsuccessful so I was hesitant to try it again.  But after seeing this feature recently, I decided to give it another go but with a few tweaks.  Much to my delight, the muffin in a mug was a success!  I don't know the calorie content of these guys but I'm hoping it's not crazy considering I've eaten one nearly every day the past couple weeks!  The heartiness of the whole wheat flour and ground flax seed fill me up and Ricky Ricardo likes that he gets to sample the blueberries.  It's a treat for everyone!

Ingredients
  • 1/4 C whole wheat flour
  • 1 T brown sugar
  • 1/4 t baking powder
  • 1/4 t ground flax seed
  • pinch of salt
  • pinch of cinnamon
  • 1/2 T butter
  • 2 T + 1 t soy milk
  • 1/8 t vanilla extract
  • 2+ T blueberries
Instructions 
  1. Mix the first six ingredients together in a microwave-safe mug until thoroughly combined.
  2. Cut the butter into small chunks and add to dry mixture, working the butter in until no big chunks remain. The mixture should look like moist sand at this point.
  3. Add in the milk and vanilla extract and stir until the mixture is thoroughly combined.
  4. Sprinkles blueberries throughout muffin mixture, pushing a few down so your blueberries are dispersed throughout.
  5. Microwave on high for 80 seconds.  Let cool for a minute--those blueberries will be HOT!
  6. Enjoy!
This has been a great recipe to play around with, substituting different flour types, berries, and spices. Since I have a gluten-free flour on hand, I gave that a go just to compare.  If you're in the mood for a light, true bakery style muffin then this is a great route.  I, however, really dig on the whole wheat flour since it has a denser, more hearty thing going for it.  The ground flax seed is a great addition to add some fiber to, ya know, keep ya regular if that's what you're into!  I normally make myself a muffin before I hit the gym or yoga since it's quick, easy, and fills me up without weighing me down.  I'd like to give cranberries and orange zest a try or maybe create a morning glory style muffin.  The worst that can happen is it's a total failure and I waste one whole muffin, not a dozen.

Happy micro-baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment